Sunday, January 5, 2014

Letting go of rules, hoping, keeping on going.




The past few days have been intensely emotional for me. I purposefully rejected owning a smartphone for about a year, so I did not. I had a tiny little phone that took a sim card and was able to dial and ring, txt a bit (very difficult) and that is it. On Christmas day my husband surprised me with the iPhone 5s, Gold. It is difficult to comprehend the transformation that has happened in my daily life since that moment.
I want to fully describe the whole exciting gift unwrapping thing, but it's boring and I will not. Owning an iPhone however, is another matter. There is now 4 of us- daddy, little girl, mama and her iPhone.
The device amazes me. It is cool and slick, advanced and deep, close but with aristocratic dignity. All of a sudden, after years of being completely away from social media, I am instantly connected to so many people and things and thoughts that I am incredibly overwhelmed. At some moments my heart just can't take it. There are so many worlds out there that were simple beyond my reach because I had no quick access to them.
I have now signed the comprehensive buddies contract with my new phone. We are inseparable. My sweet smart husband remarked that "it is just a thing". And I love him for that. But oh, no. It is so much more than a thing. It is the whole world in my palm.
We go to bed together and we get up together. We capture moments. Like the ritual family reading of the Sunday paper above, in which we wildly indulged in merciless tearing and jumping on our bed bathed in sunshine for the better part of breakfast time. "Now let the wild rumpus begin."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive